Reading What I Wrote

Reading What I Wrote

Feed back about my work has been mixed lately, those that liked it read it aloud; those who didn't like it didn't. Once my poems were read aloud, those that didn't suddenly did. So, I post this advice: read my poems out loud, you might just hear something you didn't know was there...

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Writer's Block


I figured something out about the way I write. It seems that when I am in the midst of writing something and I stop from my own doing, I am able to pick up right where I left off hours, days, months, years after putting it down. However, when I am in the midst of writing something and am interrupted by someone or something – no matter if it is a guy at the coffee shop asking me for directions or my husband calling with an emergency – once I stop, I STOP. Dead stop with no going back. And, since that interruption feels like a failure (because my thoughts were interrupted, never to be regained again) the whole process has to be reset before I can start writing again.

So, here I am now, resetting myself because I made the mistake of trying to write using my cell phone when a call came in. I thought it would be easier for me to get my thoughts onto “paper” by having a handy writing tool right in the palm of my hand. Oh, how I wish I had never thought of that! I am much better with pen and paper… The paper doesn’t “disappear” when the phone rings.

I haven’t written much of anything, except a few notes on facebook and a few scribbles of garbage on scraps of paper I can’t even find right now. I need to write though, as my head is getting too full of things. I just can’t seem to get it down without feeling like I am failing in some matter because I lost that one thought about holding onto family traditions. I am still irked by the thought as well as the loss of that thought. It was something along the lines of losing family traditions because of changes within the family, and then I lose what I was going to say about it. A double whammy if I do say so myself.

Add to that a busy calendar and an increasing work load….and the block locks up my writing tighter than a cell at Alcatraz.

I just want to get back to writing the way I was writing a month or so ago. I couldn’t keep myself from writing. I think it is an addiction of some sort - here I am writing 390 words about how I lost my ability to write and now am trying to gain it back. Does that make me weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!