Reading What I Wrote

Reading What I Wrote

Feed back about my work has been mixed lately, those that liked it read it aloud; those who didn't like it didn't. Once my poems were read aloud, those that didn't suddenly did. So, I post this advice: read my poems out loud, you might just hear something you didn't know was there...

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

#121212Concert

Here I am on my couch, watching some of the best poets perform for the world in order to raise money for the people affected by Hurricane Sandy. I am in awe. I am overwhelmed. I am crying. Granted, most people would look at this concert performance so outside the world of poetry, because of the music, but it isn't. If you look at the song choices, the words, and the emotions they invoke, well, it is some POWERFUL stuff.

I am so far removed from any of the devastation, I might as well be on another planet. It's not that I didn't know about it - I just don't personally know anyone directly affected and it is in the part of the country I have never been. Seeing this, especially though the scope of music, well, I can't even begin to figure out how to explain it. The tears streaming down my cheeks do that for me I guess.

So moved, I logged onto the 121212Concert.org website to donate, just as most people must be doing. The webpage is down. I bookmarked and will be back, but in the meantime, I am writing this:

Sing me a song
Make me forget
The devastation we face
And this mess
Sing me a song
Make me smile
Past the heartache
That will be here a while
Sing me a song
Let others hear
Let them feel enough
To send money here
We need so much
But will never just ask
We help each other out
We finish our task
Your help is great
Don't get me wrong
Please sing just one more
We need another song
Before we go back
To clearing out our streets
Thank you for raising us up
Within these tiered seats
We may still be in the dark
Without sound
While we don't see, or hear,
We feel you all around

© 2012 Deanna Repose Oaks
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!