Reading What I Wrote

Reading What I Wrote

Feed back about my work has been mixed lately, those that liked it read it aloud; those who didn't like it didn't. Once my poems were read aloud, those that didn't suddenly did. So, I post this advice: read my poems out loud, you might just hear something you didn't know was there...

Saturday, December 1, 2012

THANK YOU!!!

As a writer, I am always thinking everyone out there will hate me for what I write, or judge my writing in an unfavorable way (because let's face it, when it comes to what we read, we are ALL critics), or somehow figure out a way to keep me from writing. I write in my own little world, that no one (not even fellow writers) understand, as writing is such a personal endeavor  Given those things, I regard the writing I do with a sense of awe and wonder - and now I have some people to thank for pushing me in the write direction.

First, I have to thank Peggy of The Book Shelter in Hiram, GA. When I took several copies of my first  book of poetry (Lost Loves...Found Strength) to her store in 2008 and asked if she would sell them for me, she said "Yes" immediately. There were no questions about how it got published, if they can be returned if they didn't sell. The only question she had was, how much do you want to sell them for? After she read it, she proudly displayed my books right next to the register, so that all her customers can see them. Then, she invited me in for a reading. The reading didn't go over well, having only an audience of one person. Peggy didn't care about the lack of attendees; she kept inviting me back. Over the years, I have attended several of her author events, started mingling with other writers, and even formed a writer's group in her store. Peggy is the reason I continue to write. She keeps telling me how I shouldn't give up  as she wants good books to read and she can't have those books if the good writers stop writing. Every time I am about to give up, she contacts me with another wonderful event. She just KNOWS when I need a boost, and I am so very grateful for all of her support.

Then, I have to thank the members of the Paulding County Writers' Guild. Special thanks goes to founder Dana Richard Freeman - as his editing has kept me true to English, correct spelling and all. Without the insight and inspiration, my Kindle Books would not exist.

Lastly, I have to thank the readers out there...without you it is all for naught!

© 2012 Deanna Oaks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!